|Monuments in All Saints' Church, Little Staughton, Bedfordshire
|The Church has only two wall mounted memorials apart the war memorials. These are on the south side of the Chancel. The one nearest to the altar is dedicated to Eleanor Gery who died in 1765 aged twenty-four years. The second is to Wm Hugh Wade-Gery who died in 1870 and his wife Anne Beckingham daughter of John Miles Esq of Beckingham Hall in Lincolnshire.
Amongst the names on the stones covering the vaults in the Chancel are following:
Immediately before the altar lies Charles Wade-Gery, a scholar of Emmanuel College Cambridge who died in March 1817 aged 20 "in the fever that prevailed in the university". With him lie some of his siblings, George who died in 1798 aged 7 months, Hester, the eldest sister who died aged 4 years, George who died after 18 days, Samuel who lasted 2 months and Richard who survived just 5 months. Another brother, Richard is buried in a nearby vault and lived until he was 28 years. The eldest brother, Hugh, lived into his seventies and is commemorated in the wall tablet.
These were all the children of Hugh Wade and Hester Gery, the co-heiress of Bushmead Priory, both of whom are also buried in the Chancel. Hugh was a fellow of Emmanuel College and Rector of Thurning in Huntingdonshire. He died in 1832 aged 72 while Hester reached 79 years before her death in Ramsgate in 1849.
In another vault lies William Gery father of Hester. His memorial bears his armorial bearings. He was a former High Sheriff and the inscription makes reference to his great grandfather who was also High Sheriff and recounts his loyalty to Charles I and the Loyalist cause.
To the right of the altar lies Charles Gery who dies in 1714
Just inside the Chancel where it joins the nave lies William Crow Junior who died in 1683 aged 14 years. Alongside, partially covered by the priest's desk, is his father William who died in 1693.
The canopied recess on the north side of the Chancel is probably a 14th century Easter Sepulchre. It now bears on its stone base a brass memorial in Latin to William Lake who became Rector in 1644. He lost the living in 1644 by sequestration during the civil war but was re-instated in 1647. He died in 1679.
The War Memorial in the south aisle bears the names of the following who "gave their lives for God and Country in the Great War":
Alfred Charles ROBINS
Below is a brass plaque which records the name of Syndney
John SAUNDERS who was killed in 1944.
Further details about those listed on the War memorial
can be found at www.roll-of-honour.com/Bedfordshire/LittleStaughtonRollofHonour.html
Below the brass plaque, a stone plaque bears the inscription "In memory of those members of 109 and 582 Pathfinder Squadrons". The Church also contains a RAF Book of Remembrance of the two Squadrons
The side chapel also contains the plain wooden cross which first marked the grave of Walter Marshall.